To view and print out Russian text within Windows 95 you may have to enable Multilingual Support, see instructions below.
To type in Russian, you may have to enable the Russian keyboard, see instructions below.
To download these articles click here.
NOTE: You may be required to insert your Windows 95 CD ROM for this procedure. (If your version of Windows 95 or Windows 98 came on floppy disks, you will have to download the Multilingual Support pack from Microsoft.
To install Cyrillic fonts on a Windows 95 or Windows 98 system:
1. Open the Control Panel and click on "Add/Remove Programmes".
2. Click on the "Windows Setup" tab.
3. Scroll down the list and check the box next to "Multilingual Support".
This will enable a number of foreign fonts, including Greek, Cyrillic and Eastern European.
4. To define which fonts are installed on your system, you can click the "Details" button and choose which character sets you want.
5. You will probably be asked to restart Windows. After you have done this, the Cyrillic fonts will be available on your system.
The fonts available (for Cyrillic) will be versions of Arial, Courier and Times New Roman, each having the "Cyr" extension (e.g., "Arial Cyr").
In order to type in Russian you can enable the Russian keyboard (this works for many other foreign language keyboards too). This is done thus:
1. Open the Control Panel and click on "Keyboard".
2. Click on the "Language" tab.
3. Choose "Russian".
4. Click OK.
5. On the task bar you will see a blue box containing either "EN" (English) or "RU" (Russian) - this is the keyboard currently loaded.
Clicking on this box will allow you to swap keyboards at will, although you may have to be in an application (e.g., word processor or spreadsheet) to do so. In order to see Cyrillic characters when you type, make sure that you have selected an appropriate font in the application you are working in (i.e., Arial Cyr, Courier New Cyr or Times New Roman Cyr).
To download these articles as a zip file click here.
To download these articles as a self-extracting zip file, click here.